Misuse of credit cards or credit card fraud is a serious criminal offense in the state of Ohio. Misuse of credit cards can be defined according to the Ohio Revised Code ( ORC 2913.21 ) as anyone who does any of the following:
- Uses means of deception to have a credit card issued;
- Knowingly purchases a credit card from anyone other than its issuer, or sells a credit card to another individual;
- If you have the purpose or intention to defraud and obtain control over a credit card as a security for a debt;
- If you have the purpose or intention to defraud and use a credit card to obtain property or services knowing that it was expired, revoked or violates the law;
- If you have the purpose or intention to defraud and give property or services to an individual who presents a credit card that you knew was being used in violation of the law;
- If you have the purpose or intention to defraud and let a credit card issuer believe that you provided property or services in exchange for a payment when you did not;
- In addition to any of the above, had the purpose or intention to receive, possess, control, or dispose of a credit card.
- If you are facing conviction for the misuse of credit cards, you will most likely be charged with a first-degree misdemeanor. This will entail up to six months in jail and fines of up to $1,000.
If you are facing more than one violation of misusing credit cards within a 90 day period, you may face a fourth-degree felony depending on the value of the property or services involved in your particular case. A fourth-degree felony will entail at least six and up to 18 months in prison and up to $5,000 in fines.
Facing criminal charges? Contact us today.
Misuse of credit card charges can be an overwhelming and frightening experience. You are probably worried about your freedoms and privileges being at stake and have a lot of questions. You can rest assured, because the Cincinnati Criminal Defense team is here for you. Get the justice that you deserve. Don’t hesitate to contact us today at (513) 338-1890 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .